Sunday, May 07, 2006

Random Rants and Rambles:

Books I Wanna Read (or reread) Wish List:

Fire and Ice (Michael Adams)
The American Backlash (Michael Adams)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde) (Read it AGES ago)
The Tipping Point and the sequel to it (Can’t remember author’s name)
The Autobiography Of Alice B. Toklas. (by G. Stein)
(Anything I haven’t already read yet and a few I have) by Margaret Atwood
The novel she wrote in the nut house ( Title?) by Zelda Fitzgerald (Scott’s Wife)
The Catcher in the Rye (I just haven’t gotten around to reading it yet, okay? OKAY???)
The Killing Sea (by Richard Lewis (on order at my book shop))
The rest of those damn books about those bloody depressing orphans by Lemony Snicket.
The Naked and the Dead (by Norman Mailer)

That’s all I can think of right now.


So? Is Alice Cooper a Nice Girl?

As a mother you occasionally suffer ‘Mommy moments’. Those times when you become agonizingly aware your child will never again be a moptopped cherub you can pick up (without irreparably damaging your spine) to cuddle and kiss, the faint scent of baby powder and sun-dried hair filling your nostrils like joy in perfume form.

'Mommy Moments' hit you deep in the heart. At times your heart swells with unrestrained pride that you somehow birthed this independent and brilliant little being. EG: My son taught me to play chess when he was only 9. That night I lay in bed and wept silently in gratitude.

These days my babies are stubbly, hulking brutes doused with Axe, a vile cologne so insidious that my eyes water at the very thought of it, even when applied sparingly.

This same genetically-related eating-machines rarely ask for anything . . . well - except for hundred of dollars worth of food on a monthly basis. So when #1 son announced his desire to see Alice Cooper, I felt my heart fall into a 'Mommy Moment'. The last concert he asked to go see starred Sharon, Lois & Bram and some poor bastard in an Elephant suit.

Alice Cooper.
His very first rock concert.
You never forget your first.

His daddy drove him into town, found a nice scalper, negotiated the ticket price and soon my 6’2” bubba toddled off to see Miss Cooper and Helix all by himself. Miss Cooper apparently doesn’t like Miss Hilton very much and there was some sort of fracas involving coffins and knives on stage.

However, all went well. Ears ringing, #1 son met up with his father after buying (for a mere mortgage payment-sized pittance) the requisite t-shirt as a souvenir.

I know in my head he’s growing up, but at these moments it’s a hard realization for the heart.
The poster of the bikini clad girl? Amusing.
The stray chin hairs? Adorable.
But his first real rock concert? The inevitable ‘Mommy moment’ hit hard.

I can hear the not so distant creak of my rocking chair.
The bitter taste of Geritol in my mouth.

Have young kids? Enjoy ‘em and never apologize for it.

The next thing you know they’ll be asking you - in all seriousness:
“Mom? Do you think girls think I’m ‘Do Me! Hot’ or ‘Let’s Just Be Friends cute’?”

9 comments:

M. G. Tarquini said...

Did you read The Flame Tree - Richard's first, yet?

Alice Cooper plays golf. He's on geritol himself.

Mark Pettus said...

I just read The Picture of Dorian Gray - I'm disappointed. The allegory was too obvious - there's a reason they foist this stuff on unsuspecting teenagers.

Alice has a literary tie-in, you know. He used to play with Stephen King, Amy Tan, and the rest of Richard Burr's Legs. King called him their "musical guru."

How cool that your son went to an Alice concert. Alice was my second concert - back in the days when I loved a little band named KISS that no one had ever heard of.

Ric said...

Tis wonderful to watch them grow up.
My #2 son called yesterday afternoon from the Palace of Auburn Hills, from a suite, watching the Pistons pound Cleveland. Says his ticket had a price of $780 on it.
Seeing how the other half lives makes those late night study sessions all worthwhile.

Great writing, Ann.

Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Ticket scalpers? That's why we're friends.

Don't worry, my MIL says it's waaay funner to be a grandmother than a mother. =)

Adam Hurtubise said...

Both my sons have informed me that it's time for me to take them to their first Springsteen concert.

Adam

Sandra Ruttan said...

The Catcher in the Rye was required in high school. I don't remember being overly impressed.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

thank the good Lord those days are over for me...my son is 36 and living in Florida, while I hide in new York...LOL

Ballpoint Wren said...

Catcher in the Rye is one of my "I should've read it by now" books.

I went to a girls' school and I remember there being a stink when they considered it for our reading list. We did read stuff like Atlas Shrugged, though, so I don't know what the fuss was about.

Elizabeth said...

Wow. His first rock concert. And to Alice Cooper no less. The "Mommy Moments" come faster and harder after they turn 16.

There are some times when I'm so proud of my baby and the terrific kid he's turned into that it's all I can do to hold back tears when I'm trying to appear to be listening.

And there are other times, when I wonder what on earth happened to that cute cuddly exuberant and hairless kid that once lived in my house - like this morning when I realized I had to stand on tippy-toe to give him a kiss on his cheek, and when I kissed, his cheek felt like sandpaper 'cause he hadn't shaved yet.

Happy Mother's Day, E. Ann! Enjoy your hairy hulks!!